As a student developer, chances are, you prefer to channel your finances to meet other needs instead of paying for multiple development services on a monthly or annual basis. GitHub offers a service to students, called Student Developer Pack, which allow student developers to access multiple development services for free.
In this article, I will be showing you how to sign up for the Student Developer Pack and start enjoying the benefits of being a student developer.
Required: A GitHub account.
Benefits of joining GitHub Education
- A Free GitHub Pro subscription for as long as you are a student
- Be trained as a GitHub Campus Expert if you apply to be
- Access to multiple platforms (MongoDB, Microsoft Azure, Educative.io, etc.)
- Navigate to the Student Developer Pack page and click on the Sign up for Student Developer Pack button
- Click on the Get Student Benefits button and follow the prompts After you have signed in with your GitHub account, you will be redirected to a page to fill in your detail
- Enter your correct personal details. It is advisable to use your student email address provided by your institution
- Click on the Continue button. You will be directed to the next page where you will upload a Proof of Academic Status document. N.B: Here I tried using my School ID card but I got rejected thrice. I instead used a screenshot of my course registration form for the semester and it worked just fine.
- After uploading the right document, click on the Process My Application button and wait for a confirmation email.
When successful, you will receive a follow-up email with onboarding instructions.
Below is an example of what you'd have access to
So far, you learned how to access the Student Developer Pack by submitting your application. This will be very useful as you go through the journey of developing amazing applications and even for your learning.
Now that you have access to ~100 development services, enjoy yourself and explore without breaking the bank.